Grime and Punishment (The Brothers Grime #1)

The Brothers Grime: Jack - Z.A. Maxfield Jack is damaged, and not just by the accident he had as a firefighter that ended his career and left him disabled.

Jack used to be in love with Nick Foasberg whose fear of being outed led to a horrible confrontation winding up with Jack becoming a victim as Nick stood by and watched.

Years later Jack is now the owner of The Brother's Grime, a crime scene clean-up company. One night he receives a call for a suicide job. The person that died was none other than the one who broke his heart; Nick.

Ryan, cousin to Nick, has been trying to keep an eye on Nick after his marriage fell apart. Nick had been staying in a little room in the house slowly slipping farther and farther away into his addictions. He's not sure he wants Jack taking the job as he wasn't around when Nick needed help.

Jack struggles with taking the job, but know he needs closure. At the same time Ryan's image reminds him of Nick and the attraction he's battling is not one-sided. Ryan doesn't know Nick's secret and he doesn't want to tell him.

As Jack and Ryan become closer though, Jack realizes he has to decide soon if he will tell Ryan what really happened between Nick and himself and wonders whether Nick will be able to trust his word after that.

The writing was smooth if a little somber and I felt like the story never picked up the pace or intensity during its entirety which made it hard to get excited or enthused about the characters and where they were going.

I had a slight issue with them going on a date the day of the funeral. It just didn't sit right with me and things moved a little too fast for my liking.

However, I get that this was a story of wounds needing to be healed and the awakening of feelings that were thought to be lost or never felt again.

This was a middle of the road read for me.