All the Darkness in the World

All The Darkness In The World - Andy  Deane, Zach McCain SPOILERS+++++++++++++++++

This is more of a coming-of-age story than anything else. There is some very solid writing that was bogged down with too much information. We got a repetitive blow by blow view of the ins and outs of Jace, the main character, who is a long-haired, metal band listening, outcast. His dad is a violent drunk and his mom keeps taking the beatings, not caring about the son. We, the reader, read about such episodes multiple times with little variation to the point where I was thinking "blah, blah, blah." There was too much Jace and not enough darkness; these vampiric creatures who easily get beat down by a 16 yr old and talked a lot of smack while standing in the shade so they don't get sizzled. Being totally honest here; this book lacked emotion, grit, substance, and failed to make a connection. It just rambled on. I don't know what I was supposed to "get" out of this read. The author has potential, but this read is NOT FOR ME.