SPOILER ALERT!

*Review* Orbs 2 by Nicholas Smith

Orbs II: Stranded: A Science Fiction Thriller - Nicholas Sansbury Smith

Book 2 opens up with a survivor running for his life. He's alone and trying to evade the aliens that are slowly killing earth. Just as he's about to give up, he learns of a group of people who are working on a project that can help destroy the creatures that are absorbing all the water from the land and humans. This last transmission gives him hope.

To me, that is what book two is about. For some it's losing hope and for others, it's trying to find it in the darkest moments.

Mr. Smith brings back Sophie, the crew, and AI Alex (I gave her a nickname.) who are trying to keep themselves alive. Being cooped up doesn't help matters. Tempers rise as Sophie and Sergeant Overton butt heads on how they should move forward since they now know that humans are being harvested and that includes some of Overton's pals.

One argument changes everything as one of the children residing with them is captured by the Organics. Knowing what will happen to him and feeling guilty for his part, Sgt. Overton goes on a daring rescue mission. From here, the story really takes off.

As far as the characters go, I really felt that Sophie was a weak link in this one. To the point where I was irritated by her suggestions and anytime the story focused on her. I know she was going through a lot, but she showed none of the strength that she did in the previous book. I was sorely disappointed.

Overton, the surly man, was his usual self, always barking and yelling. No character growth there, but I got to see a little bit of heart.

The aliens themselves were as awesome as ever, I just felt like the story was missing something.

The newcomer's arrival seemed staged, and unhelpful. Where did the water-aliens come from? I don't remember hearing about them before.

Aha! I think I answered my own question. Thingw were being thrown into the story without the main MC's figuring them out or things being hinted at. The water-aliens, the big dinosaur alien, the sub. The folks at the biosphere were living blindly and when these new things popped up miraculously, it made the situations they were in and got through seem unrealistic instead of bad-ass.

I will definitely keep on reading Nick's work as he's got some skills.

*I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review*